Operating system name and version: RHEL 6.9
Version of smsd: 3.1.21
Smsd installed from: RPM
Name and model of a modem / phone: Telit GT863-PY GSM Modem
Interface: Digi Portserver II TCP to Serial


While my operating system installation is able to recognize all of the accented letters, smsd seems not to digest them.
Following is what I find in the sms file, after it was spooled by smsd:

NOTICE: Cannot convert 24. character (95)ò to GSM.
NOTICE: Cannot convert 30. character (97)ù to GSM.
NOTICE: Cannot convert 32. character (8D)ì to GSM.
NOTICE: 3 characters outside the GSM alphabet, converting to UCS2

Furthermore, the SMS is received on my Smartphone with some kind of hieroglyphs instead of the letters not converted. Rest of text seems to be fine.

Standing on what I found on the official documentation, ALPHABET was set to UTF-8 and LANGUAGE to 0.

Looking for support!