SMS Server Tools 3
This site is hosted by Kekekasvi.com
 Menu
Basic information:
Additional information:
Support:
Get SMS Server Tools 3:
Additional Options

 Sponsored links

 Search
Custom Search

 Visitor locations
 
 SMS Server Tools 3 Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:39
SMSTools3 Community » Help and support Bottom

SMSD 3.1.21, Sierra Wireless Modem 307 not working

Login and Post Reply

Page:  1

Author Post
Member
Registered:
Oct 2018
Location: Hayward, CA, United States of America
Oracle Linux 6.10:
[b}3.1.21:
Source:
Sierra Wireless 307:
USB:

Hi all:

I am trying to use a Sierra Wireless 3G modem with the current version of SMSD. Sadly, I have failed somewhere in the configuration.

Prior to connecting it to the Linux host, I tested the modem on my laptop and it worked well. I was able to send SMS traffic and receive it. Thus, I know the SIM card is valid and has the SMS service enabled.

I then connected it to the Linux host and I can see it using the lsusb command.

/etc# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0f3d:68aa Airprime, Incorporated
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0003 VMware, Inc. Virtual Mouse
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Note: Airprime is a brand owned by Sierra Wireless

I then checked it port using the dmesg command and was able to see it.
Interesting that it shows up as "ttyUSB0" to "ttyUSB5".

[ 5.869300] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for Sierra USB modem
[ 5.869331] sierra 1-1:1.0: Sierra USB modem converter detected
[ 5.870000] usb 1-1: Sierra USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[ 5.870028] sierra 1-1:1.1: Sierra USB modem converter detected
[ 5.871061] usb 1-1: Sierra USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB1
[ 5.871074] sierra 1-1:1.2: Sierra USB modem converter detected
[ 5.871331] usb 1-1: Sierra USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB2
[ 5.871354] sierra 1-1:1.3: Sierra USB modem converter detected
[ 5.873062] usb 1-1: Sierra USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB3
[ 5.873073] sierra 1-1:1.4: Sierra USB modem converter detected
[ 5.874077] usb 1-1: Sierra USB modem converter now attached to ttyUSB4
[ 5.924405] sierra_net 1-1:1.7 wwan0: register 'sierra_net' at usb-0000:02:02.0-1, Sierra Wireless USB-to-WWAN Modem, a6:87:7d:f6:01:07


I then ensured that the /etc/smsd.conf configuration lines were correct:
device = /dev/ttyUSB0
baudrate = 115200
rtscts = yes

Note: I actually tried all ports without luck.

I tried a number of combinations of the "init" line without luck also.
My last variation was:

init = AT+CREG?

Having set the log level to 7 to get full information, I saw not much happening except it could not find the modem
Thus, it tells me that SMSD may be working but could not find the missing modem.

Checking if modem is ready

2018-10-12 20:13:08,7, GSM1: -> AT
2018-10-12 20:13:08,7, GSM1: time 1 ms Command is sent, waiting for the answer. (5)
2018-10-12 20:13:13,7, GSM1: No answer, put_command expected (OK)|(ERROR)|(0)|(4), timeout occurred. 1.
2018-10-12 20:13:13,7, GSM1: time 4165 ms <-

I am assuming that I am missing some configuration command. Having read the "how to" section many times, perhaps I have done something very wrong.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Kevin


/etc/smsd.conf

# Global commands

adminmessage_device = GSM1
admin_to = 1 (masked for security reasons)
alarmhandler = /usr/local/bin/alarmevent
alarmlevel = 4
autosplit = 3

blacklist = /etc/smsd.black
blocktime = 3600

checked = /var/spool/sms/checked

delaytime = 5
devices = GSM1

errorsleeptime = 10
eventhandler = /usr/local/bin/smsevent

failed = /var/spool/sms/failed

hangup_incoming_call = yes


ignore_outgoing_priority = no
incoming = /var/spool/sms/incoming
internal_combine = yes

logfile = /var/log/smsd.log
loglevel = 7
log_response_time = yes

mypath = /usr/local/bin

outgoing = /var/spool/sms/outgoing

receive_before_send = yes

sent = /var/spool/sms/sent
shell = /bin/bash
stats = /var/log/smsd_stats
stats_interval = 3600

# stats_no_zeroes = no
# checkhandler = /usr/local/bin/smscheck

# whitelist = /etc/smsd.white

[queues]

OTHER = /var/spool/sms/OTHER

[provider]

OTHER = 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

[GSM1]
# init = ATE0+CPMS="SM"+CNMI=2,0,0,2,1

init = AT+CREG?

device = /dev/ttyUSB0
incoming = yes
queues = OTHER
mode = new
baudrate = 115200
rtscts = yes
cs_convert = yes
report = no
memory_start = 1
eventhandler = /usr/local/bin/smsevent
sending_disabled = no

# You don't need a PIN for mobile phones
# pin = 1111

# smsc = 12085978926

# autosplit 0=no 1=yes 2=with text numbers 3=concatenated

Member
Registered:
Oct 2018
Location: Hayward, CA, United States of America
Topic owner
Some progress made.
It seems that since most modern USB based modems also have a MicroSD slot inside, you need to work around this as the drive steals the ttyUSB numbers.

See this article: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19984956/udev-rule-for-symlinking-usb-device

No clear fix but after setting the speed back to 115,200 and setting the port to "ttuUSB5", I was able to send messages.

What needs to happen is to find a long term solution for disabling the MicroSD drive function.

Anyway - nice way to end the weekend. Sadly - it may not last.

Cheers and thanks for listening.

Kevin

Login and Post Reply

Page:  1

SMSTools3 Community » Help and support Top

 
Time in this board is UTC.  

Privacy Policy   SMS Server Tools 3 Copyright © Keijo Kasvi.