I also tried to use smsd as daemon but it got stuck and didn't work as well.
I am working on a Debian GNU/Linux system, release wheezy/sid, kernel: Linux 3.2.0-3-amd64
I downloaded smstools3-3.1.14.tar.gz and debugged it:
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/smsd -s
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00007ffff7895ada in vfprintf () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
#0 0x00007ffff7895ada in vfprintf () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
#1 0x00007ffff78bc472 in vsnprintf () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
#2 0x00007ffff789e2c3 in snprintf () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
#3 0x00000000004193a7 in lockfile ()
#4 0x00000000004160a0 in movefilewithdestlock_new ()
#5 0x00000000004076aa in mainspooler () at smsd.c:1749
#6 0x000000000041593d in main (argc=2, argv=0x7fffffffebf at smsd.c:6911
Finally I found some kind of solution, though it's more a guess than
really understanding how the programm works:
diff smsd.c smsd.c~
smstools is working so far now.